In my quest to become a best bud to the earth and to rid my home and lifestyle of chemicals,I have come face to face with a new … and super fun … challenge.
Beauty Products!!! I love all products: moisturizers that make your skin feel like butter, exfoliators that make you glow, serums that make you gleam, nail polishes that funkify your outfits, conditioners that smells like coconuts… I love ’em all! But what we put on ourselves is eventually absorbed into ourselves… and I don’t like the idea that I’m rubbing chemicals into my body.
1. Grape Seed Oil: I found this at my bulk food store for $8!! I use a small amount (the size of a dime) every night and I love it. It claims to moisturize, tone and tighten, minimize wrinkle, and prevent under-eye-circles. I have no complaints. Plus it is all natural.
2. Coffee exfoliator (AND cellulite fighter): coffee grounds are coarse, which naturally help with exfoliation. It also has anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant effects on the skin and stimulates collagen production. Mix 1 cup warm coffee grounds with 1/2 cup sugar or sea salt, then add 2 tbsp. olive oil. Rub the mix all over your skin while standing on newspapers. Then step in the shower and rinse off.
3. Oatmeal: oatmeal is a cleanser, moisturizer and buffer. And it has anti-itch, skin-soothing and anti-inflammatory properties! To use oatmeal as an exfoliant, put 1 cup rolled oats in a blender and put them on the “Blend” setting for three minutes. Move the ground oatmeal to a bowl, then add some water and a few drops of your favorite essential oil until it becomes a paste. Use it on your skin as you would any other cleansing scrub. If your skin is particularly dry, add a few drops of olive oil and a little less water.
4. Honey Lip Scrub: Mix 1 tsp honey and 1 tsp baking soda until a smooth paste is formed. Apply the mixture on your lips and leave it on for a few minutes. Then gently rub the lips to remove dead skin. Wash your lips with water and then apply olive oil to moisturize.
5. Body moisturizer: This one I really LOVE! Coconut Oil. I bought a tub or organic coconut oil from a local bulk store. Keep it at cool room temperature and it will last for a long time. And your skin will be silky smooth. Try it. Just do it. You won’t regret it!